Sunday, May 30, 2010

Mind PreSets

FF
Before any walk I try and preset my mind about what I am looking for. As I have identified more and more of my neighbours, questions about them always remain unanswered and are often the motivation to go into the same environment on numerous occasions. For example, if in the afternoon I see a plant with a closed flower it makes sense to go the next morning and surprise surprise there it is. Then I start to see some connections I probably never considered. For example, if the flower is associated with a caterpillar larval food I might see many more locations because the open flower is like a beacon. Where once I thought the larval food scarce, now it is plentiful. Now I can spot the butterfly crawling and depositing the eggs on its larval food rather than just roosting. Putting the pieces together takes lots of experience and lots of totally wrong presets, so its important to be able to adjust presets to better fit what I find, or abandon them altogether if they just waste time. A good preset can be a key to a new preset even if it didn’t fulfil the initial preset rationale. I am not sure if there are universal presets, but I meet many tourists out bush who seem to share the same ones.
FF
Bucchnera linearis
FF

FF
Case Moth caterpillar Psychidae A
feeding on
Pityrodia jamesii
FF

FF
Faggot Case Moth Clania ignobilis
FF
FF
Faggot Case Moth Clania ignobilis
FF
FF
Case Moth Grass Cabin
FF
FF
Case Moth Lepidoscia arctiella
FF
FF
Crested Tooth-grinder Ecephantus quaddrilobus Instar
FF
FF
Giant Thread-waisted Wasp Sphex sp.
FF
FF
Golden-headed Cisticola Cisticola exilis
FF
FF
Gomphrena flaccida
FF
FF
Goodenia armstrongiana
FF
FF
Heliotropium indicum
FF
FF
Hybanthus enneaspermus
FF
FF
Itchy Tree
Barringtonia acutangular
FF
FF
Jacksonia sp.
FF
FF
KapoK Bush Cochlospermum fraseri
FF
FF
Keraudrenia sp.
FF
FF
Large Mud-nest Wasp Abispa ephippium
FF
FF
Leaf Beetle Chrysomelidae
feeding on
Holly-leafed Pea-flower Bossiaca bossiaeoides
FF
FF

No comments: