Friday, October 30, 2009

Early Morning Rain

ff
It rained this morning, only lightly and only for twenty minutes, at four am. I went walking just before sunup in open woodland adjacent to a mangrove river catchment.
FF
The first thing I noticed was the Billy Goat Plums were in flower and the leaves were collecting water droplets on the bottom of the leaf.
FF
Billy Goat Plum Terminalia ferdinandiana
White-naped Honeyeater Melithreptus lunatus
FF

FF
So of course some birds were taking advantage of the aerial water supply and rubbing themselves against the leaves as they repeatedly flew up into them.
FF
Yellow Oriole Oriolus flavocinctus
FF

FF
I also noticed small unidentified insects hovering about the Billy Goat Plum’s flowers. I assume the Bar -breasted Honeyeater was breakfasting on these insects.
FF
Bar -breasted Honeyeater Ramsayornis fasciatus
FF
FF
While I was stalking the Yellow Oriole I came across several birds in or around their nests.
FF
Broad-billed Flycatcher Myiagra ruficollis female
FF
FF
Northern Fantail Rhipidura rufiventris
FF
FF
Long-tailed Finch Poephila acuticauda
FF
FF
I am always on the lookout for wrens and I noticed a larger-than-normal bird earning a living down among the shrubs and newly emergent Acacias and Eucalypts. I finally managed to get a decent shot of the parasitic Little Bronze-Cuckoo female eating caterpillars. Not surprising considering the amount of nests being looked after in that neck of the woods.
FF
Little Bronze-Cuckoo Chrysococcyx malayanus Female
FF
FF
An hour after sunrise I came across a flock of Red-collared Lorikeets taking baths among the Ironwood’s Erythrophleum chlorostachys many small and wet leaves.
FF
Red-Collared Lorikeet Trichoglossus rubritorquis
FF
FF
The Leanyer environs is still the best teacher I could have asked for regarding an education about the Australian bush.
FF

No comments: